Monday, April 15, 2019

Magnificent Magnolia

Last Monday, my class and I got to spend some time at one of the most beautiful cemetery I have ever seen, Magnolia Cemetery. Everywhere you looked, you would find exquisite headstones, die on sockets, obelisks, and incredible mausoleums!

Plaque at entrance of cemetery
The picture above is of a plaque that you see at the front of the entrance of Magnolia Cemetery. When you first walk in all you can see for what seems like miles and miles are magnificent gravestones each with their own uniqueness. 

Sun Dial
I took this photo of this sun dial that is surrounded by headstones with the writing in fancy fonts. If you look close enough you can see one of these fonts written on the headstone in the background of the picture. In terms of the sun dial, it is basically a device that tells the time of day when there is sunlight by the apparent position of the sun in the sky.


Headstone with Monument

These two photos above are of a headstone and monument with beautiful carvings all around. The amount of detail on this gravestone really caught my eye. The woman on top is an angel which I am assuming is the guardian of home this gravestone belongs to which is Pattie Bird. 



Mausoleum with stained glass 

These three pictures above are of a Mausoleum with amazing stain glass windows that illuminate wonderful colors when the light hits them at the right angle. One thing that my Professor, Patrick Harwood explained, was that if you walk up to the door and peak inside, you can see the Olympic rings carved into the glass!



Aiken Kelly (1871-1907)
This die on socket belongs to Aiken Kelly and carved onto the facade, is a moving epitaph that reads, "After life's fitful fever comes rest. 

column with detailed carvings
This last picture is of a column that lays next to a step leading to a bunch of headstones. This column caught my eye because of the very detailed carvings that are on the front. At first I thought that the carvings were all leaves and other foliage, however, when I took a close look I noticed an anchor. I am a sailor and I am glad that I took a second look!

Overall, Magnolia Cemetery is my favorite visit of the semester. I could really get an understanding of the beauty of the after life in a way. Each gravestone has its own story and characteristics that represent the one who once lived.





No comments:

Post a Comment